Re: Built-in connection pooling - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ivan Novick
Subject Re: Built-in connection pooling
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 4:40 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 06:51:08PM +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
Right now, if you hit max_connections, we start rejecting new
connections.  Would it make sense to allow an option to exit idle
connections when this happens so new users can connect?

A lot of users have bash scripts to check the system periodically and canel idle connections to prevent other users from getting rejected by max connections.  They do this on a timer, like if the session appears to be idle more than 10 minutes.

I know we have relied on external connection poolers to solve all the
high connection problems but it seems there might be simple things we
can do to improve matters.  FYI, I did write a blog entry comparing
external and internal connection poolers:

Yes, that would be great.

The simplest thing sounds like a GUC that will automitcally end a connection idle for X seconds.

Another option could be as you suggested, Bruce, if a user would have failed because of max connections already reached, then terminate the connection that has been idle the longest and allow a new connection to come in.

These would greatly improve user experience as most folks have to automate this all themselves anyway.

Cheers,
Ivan