Re: can't coax query planner into using all columns of a gist index - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gideon Dresdner
Subject Re: can't coax query planner into using all columns of a gist index
Date
List pgsql-hackers
What's a good way for me to create a self-contained test case. AFAIU the only way to make these test cases more self-contained would be to inline the second table and its index. How do you create an index to an inlined table of values?

Or perhaps I could send over a dump of a subset of the data?

Yes, I am fairly sure that I am running 9.4.4:

$ psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 9.4.4

# select version();
                                      version
 PostgreSQL 9.4.4 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 5.1.0, 64-bit
(1 row)

Thanks for the help,
Gideon.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 10:23 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Gideon Dresdner <gideond@gmail.com> writes:
> I had a discussion on IRC today with RhodiumToad regarding optimizing a
> specific query. We didn't manage to figure out how to get postgres to hit a
> GIST index.

FWIW, I couldn't reproduce the described behavior.  Can you provide a
self-contained test case?  Are you sure your server is 9.4.4?