Re: Health warning: - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Zahid Rahman
Subject Re: Health warning:
Date
List pgsql-novice
Software crisis averted. PGADMIN4  working.

First I followed these instructions to download and  install software
only up to postgresql-server-dev-12. no further.

Then  I went to this website  by googling sudo apt-get install pgadmin4 apache

Don't forget to stop service apache server. sudo systemctl stop apache2 otherwise you will get a port clash with docker.
copied and pasted the following code changing the email and password.
To the one I put in  when prompted for and running command line sudo apt-get install pgadmin4 apache.
downloaded docker with snap.  sudo snap install docker
sudo docker pull dpage/pgadmin4
sudo docker run -p 80:80 \   -e 'PGADMIN_DEFAULT_EMAIL=user@domain.com' \   -e 'PGADMIN_DEFAULT_PASSWORD=SuperSecret' \   -d dpage/pgadmin4
ran  sudo docker
sudo docker run -p 80:80     -e 'PGADMIN_DEFAULT_EMAIL=zahidr1000@gmail.com'     -e 'PGADMIN_DEFAULT_PASSWORD=*******'     -d dpage/pgadmin4
Here is the KICKER. (not  http://127.0.0.1/pgadmin4)
go to browser and type http://127.0.0.1 and you will see the blue login screen prompting you for the
above email and password.

Who is the MAN  now ?

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 at 22:28, Zahid Rahman <zahidr1000@gmail.com> wrote:
 > I don't recommend doing so because it's very insecure.
Sir, nothing is really secure.
There is at least one person with full privileges.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 21:41 Stephen Frost, <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Zahid Rahman (zahidr1000@gmail.com) wrote:
> You have to set to trust from peer the first time you download and install
> postgres.
> Because there is no default password.
> After you create a password.
> Then you can reset from trust.

No- peer auth allows the "postgres" unix user, which is the user that
the database runs as, to connect.

To do so, you would first "sudo su - postgres" and then run psql, and
then you'll be able to connect without any need for a password.  This is
exactly what 'peer' auth is for and how it works and it's quite secure.

There's no need to ever change the authentication method to be 'trust'
and I don't recommend doing so because it's very insecure.

> You also have to reboot your computer each time you change
> etc/postgresql/12/main/pg_hba.conf.
> at the very least restart the database.

You don't have to restart the computer or the database when changes are
made to pg_hba.conf- you just need to issue a "reload".

Thanks,

Stephen