Re: In what situations do you use -U of initdb? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Abel Abraham Camarillo Ojeda
Subject Re: In what situations do you use -U of initdb?
Date
List pgsql-general
Package systems which create an automatic user account for your
postgresql instance, for example in OpenBSD:

system user: _postgresql (in accordance to OpenBSD ports rules)
db user: postgres

I always use:

initdb -U postgres

Because that's what everyone expects it to be...

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 11:20 PM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki
<tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Currently, we are developing some tool for PostgreSQL.  To determine the functional specification, I would like to
askPostgreSQL users about the necessity of support for the -U option of initdb.

> In what situations do you use -U option of initdb?  Is it essential for what reason?
>
> I'm not sure whether there are any situations where the DBAs need to use different username/password pairs for the OS
userwho starts/stops the database server, and the database superuser.