In what situations do you use -U of initdb? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Subject In what situations do you use -U of initdb?
Date
Re: In what situations do you use -U of initdb?  (Ray Stell <stellr@vt.edu>)
List pgsql-general
Hello,

Currently, we are developing some tool for PostgreSQL.  To determine the functional specification, I would like to ask
PostgreSQLusers about the necessity of support for the -U option of initdb.

In what situations do you use -U option of initdb?  Is it essential for what reason?

I'm not sure whether there are any situations where the DBAs need to use different username/password pairs for the OS
userwho starts/stops the database server, and the database superuser.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa