pg_basebackup: ERROR: could not find any WAL files (9.3) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lonni J Friedman
Subject pg_basebackup: ERROR: could not find any WAL files (9.3)
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings,
I've recently pushed a new postgres-9.3 (Linux-x86_64/RHEL6) cluster
into production, with one master, and two hot standby streaming
replication slaves.  Everything seems to be working ok, however
roughly half of my pg_basebackup attempts are failing at the very end
with the error:

pg_basebackup: could not get transaction log end position from server:
ERROR:  could not find any WAL files

I should note that I'm running pg_basebackup on one of the two slaves,
and not the master.  However, I've got an older, separate 9.3 cluster
with the same setup, and pg_basebackup never fails there.

I thought that the WAL files in question were coming from the pg_xlog
subdirectory.  But I don't see any lack of files there on the server
running pg_basebackup.  They are being generated continuously (as
expected), before, during & after the pg_basebackup.  I scanned the
source ( http://doxygen.postgresql.org/basebackup_8c_source.html ),
and it seems to backup my understanding of the expected behavior:

306  /*
307  * There must be at least one xlog file in the pg_xlog directory,
308  * since we are doing backup-including-xlog.
309  */
310  if (nWalFiles < 1)
311  ereport(ERROR,
312  (errmsg("could not find any WAL files")));

However, what I see on the server conflicts with the error.
pg_basebackup was invoked on Thu Sep 26 01:00:01 PDT 2013, and failed
on Thu Sep 26 02:09:12 PDT 2013.  In the pg_xlog subdirectory, I see
lots of WAL files present, before, during & after pg_basebackup was
run:
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16777216 Sep 26 00:38 000000010000208A000000E3
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16777216 Sep 26 00:43 000000010000208A000000E4
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16777216 Sep 26 00:48 000000010000208A000000E5