Re: How to avoid Force Autovacuum - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vishalakshi Navaneethakrishnan
Subject Re: How to avoid Force Autovacuum
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

> vacuumdb -F -z -h localhost -U postgres dbname

It is not necessary to do. Autovacuum does it itself where and when needed.

If we did not do this, then autovacuum will occur, Load was very high at that time and the server was unresponsive, To avoid this we are executing vacuum freeze analyze everyday.

We are using Centos

cat /etc/issue
CentOS release 6.3 (Final)

cat /proc/meminfo |grep Hugepagesize
Hugepagesize:       2048 kB

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Sergey Konoplev <gray.ru@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 2:46 AM, Vishalakshi Navaneethakrishnan
<nvishalakshi@sirahu.com> wrote:
> Daily once we are executing "Vacuum Freeze analyze" -- To prevent
> transaction id wraparound
> using this command
> vacuumdb -F -z -h localhost -U postgres dbname

It is not necessary to do. Autovacuum does it itself where and when needed.

> Even sometimes autovacuum running on the databases and increase the load
> (Above 200) very much and the server was unresponsive
>
> I have seen the autovacum worker process in top command,
> While i executing pg_stat_activity as postgres user, i have seen the pid of
> autovacuum process in the result  but the query filed is "Empty"

Was autovacuum the only process that you saw in pg_stat_activity?

What OS do you use?

Do you use huge pages?

--
Kind regards,
Sergey Konoplev

http://www.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp
+1 (415) 867-9984, +7 (901) 903-0499, +7 (988) 888-1979
gray.ru@gmail.com

--
Best Regards,
Vishalakshi.N