Re: How large can a PostgreSQL database get? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Nolan
Subject Re: How large can a PostgreSQL database get?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 4/17/13, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> My experience, doing production and dev dba work on both postgresql
> and oracle, is that either works well, as long as you partition
> properly or even break things into silos. Oracle isn't magic pixie
> dust that suddenly gets hardware with 250MB/s seq read arrays to read
> at 1GB/s, etc.
>
> With oracle partitioning is easier, and everything else on the
> freaking planet is harder.

Scott, thank you for the best laugh I've had all day!

I started out on Oracle (some 20 years ago) and have been running both
MySQL and PostgreSQL databases for the last 10 years or so.  I'd take
PostgreSQL over the other two in a heartbeat!

Data integrity/data preservation issues (backup is just one aspect of
that) are going to be your biggest problems with VERY large databases,
no matter how much money you throw at it.
--
Mike Nolan