Re: WIP: WAL prefetch (another approach) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: WIP: WAL prefetch (another approach)
Date
Re: WIP: WAL prefetch (another approach)  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 19:17 Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 8:16 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> That wasn't my plan, but I admit that the timing was non-ideal.  In
> any case, I'll dig into these failures and then consider options.
> More soon.

Yeah, this clearly needs more work.  xlogreader.c is difficult to work
with and I think we need to keep trying to improve it, but I made a
bad call here trying to combine this with other refactoring work up
against a deadline and I made some dumb mistakes.  I could of course
debug it in-tree, and I know that this has been an anticipated
feature.  Personally I think the right thing to do now is to revert it
and re-propose for 15 early in the cycle, supported with some better
testing infrastructure.

I tend to agree with the idea to revert it, perhaps a +0 on that, but if others argue it should be fixed in-place, I wouldn’t complain about it.

I very much encourage the idea of improving testing in this area and would be happy to try and help do so in the 15 cycle.

Thanks,

Stephen