Re: Shared memory changes in 9.4? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Maciek Sakrejda
Subject Re: Shared memory changes in 9.4?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 12:24 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Any chance you're using a 9.3 configuration file instead of the one
generated by initdb?
dynamic_shared_memory_type defaults to 'posix' if not specified in the
config file (on platforms supporting it). If initdb detects that 'posix'
can't be used it'll emit a different value. If you're copying the config
from 9.3 and your environment doesn't support posix shm that'll cause
the above error.
I still think dynamic_shared_memory_type should default to 'none'
because of such problems.

It works with 'none' and 'sysv'--I think the issue is that technically our environment does support 'posix', but '/dev/shm' is indeed not mounted in the LXC container, leading to a discrepancy between what initdb decides and what's actually possible. Thanks for your help.

Thanks,
Maciek