Conversion from CHAR HEX - Mailing list pgsql-general

From saqibrafique
Subject Conversion from CHAR HEX
Date
List pgsql-general
hi guys,
I am trying to convert a simple char value to HEX but I am getting Error.

*MyTable:*

CREATE TABLE mytable (from_ip CHAR(20), to_ip CHAR(20));

*I have below values in the Table:*

fm_db_Server1=# select * from operator;
           from_ip        |        to_ip
--------------------+----------------------
 202.153.087.128      | 202.153.087.159
 196.192.015.000      | 196.192.015.063
(2 rows)

I am trying to extract the 1st part of the IP and convert to the HEX as
below:

fm_db_Server1=# *select to_hex(to_number(substr(from_ip, 1, 3), '999'))  as
price from operator;*
/ERROR:  function to_hex(numeric) does not exist
LINE 1: select to_hex(to_number(substr(from_ip, 1, 3), '999'))  as p...
               ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need
to add explicit type casts./

 I am not able to figure it out what is wrong here. Can Any body point out
what is wrong here.
Thanks is advance.