Best practice: call an internal postgresql function (e.g. raw_parser) from another C/Rust binary - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Francois-Guillaume Ribreau
Subject Best practice: call an internal postgresql function (e.g. raw_parser) from another C/Rust binary
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hello!

(PostgreSQL rocks)

I wonder what is the easiest way to extract and (ab)use the raw_parser function out of postgresql codebase, as a library, so I can use it from my own code in Rust.

My C is rusty (pun intended) so I tried this:

cd src/backend/parser
gcc -I../../include -fpic -c parser.c

so raw_parser is present (yey):

nm parser.o | grep raw_parser
0000000000000000 T _raw_parser

but I missed lots of other implementation files (doh) ^^

 nm parser.o | grep U
                 U _ScanKeywordTokens
                 U _ScanKeywords
                 U _base_yyparse
                 U _cancel_scanner_errposition_callback
                 U _core_yylex
                 U _errcode
                 U _errfinish
                 U _errhint
                 U _errmsg
                 U _errmsg_internal
                 U _errstart
                 U _isxdigit
                 U _palloc
                 U _parser_init
                 U _pg_unicode_to_server
                 U _repalloc
                 U _scanner_errposition
                 U _scanner_finish
                 U _scanner_init
                 U _scanner_isspace
                 U _scanner_yyerror
                 U _setup_scanner_errposition_callback
                 U _strlen
                 U _truncate_identifier

I started to include them one by one but the task is tedious and I'm pretty sure there is an easier way :)

So I did take a look at various makefile in contrib/ folder but I'm not sure adapting them will do want I want, I do not want to make an extension for postgresql but instead generate an .a library that I can access from Rust through FFI.

Does anyone tried this before?

PS: If you are interested, here is the repository: https://github.com/FGRibreau/poc-pgsql-parser