Cluster recovery - FATAL: database files are incompatible with server. Different PG_CONTROL_VERSION for cluster and server. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillaume Drolet
Subject Cluster recovery - FATAL: database files are incompatible with server. Different PG_CONTROL_VERSION for cluster and server.
Date
Responses Re: Cluster recovery - FATAL: database files are incompatible with server. Different PG_CONTROL_VERSION for cluster and server.  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
Re: Cluster recovery - FATAL: database files are incompatible with server. Different PG_CONTROL_VERSION for cluster and server.  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
Re: Cluster recovery - FATAL: database files are incompatible with server. Different PG_CONTROL_VERSION for cluster and server.  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general
Dear list users,

For some tests, I installed a new cluster with different parameters
than the ones I had used a while ago to create the cluster I use for
my day-to-day activities (let's call it my main cluster). I used
initdb --no-locale -E UTF8 -D <new_data_dir>. Then I used pg_ctl -D
<new_data_dir> to start my new cluster. So far so good.

Then, I realized that I wanted to add a database superuser with the
option -U to initdb so I decided to delete the newly created cluster.
Instead, I mistakenly deleted the data directory of my main cluster
(doh!), using Shift-Delete. I recovered the deleted data directory
using Panda Recovery Tool and copied it back into its location (the
location pointed to by $PGDATA).

Now for the real problems: if I go in pgAdmin and try to connect to my
cluster, I get the "server not listening" message. I also tried going
to the Services and restarting postgresql but it says it is already
stopped and if I try to start it, I get a message that it has started
but then stopped because it was unused.

If I try pg_ctl start, I get this message (my translation from
French):  FATAL: database files are incompatible with server. DETAIL:
Database cluster was initialized with a PG_CONTROL_VERSION ? 16795209
while the server was compiled with a PG_CONTROL_VERSION ? 937. HINT:
Looks like you need initdb.

I really don't know what to do and would appreciate any help, if
anything can be done to recover my databases. My PG version is 9.3.3
on a Windows 7 64-bit OS.

Best regards and many thanks for your advice,

Guillaume