Re: Proposal: IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA statement. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Atri Sharma
Subject Re: Proposal: IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA statement.
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Ronan Dunklau <ronan.dunklau@dalibo.com> wrote:
Hello,

The SQL-MED specification defines the IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA statement.

This adds discoverability to foreign servers. The structure of the statement
as I understand it is simple enough:

IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA remote_schema FROM SERVER some_server [ (LIMIT TO |
EXCEPT) table_list ] INTO local_schema.

Is anyone working on this? I found a reference to this from 2010 in the
archive, stating that work should be focused on core functionality, but
nothing more recent.

This would be very useful for postgres_fdw and other RDBMS-backed fdws, but I
think even file_fdw could benefit from it if it was able to create a foreign
table for every csv-with-header file in a directory.

I can see a simple API working for that.  A new function would be added to the
fdw routine, which is responsible for crafting CreateForeignTableStmt. It
could have the following signature:

typedef List *(*ImportForeignSchema_function) (ForeignServer *server,
ImportForeignSchemaStmt * parsetree);

I experimented with this idea, and came up with the attached two patches: one
for the core, and the other for actually implementing the API in postgres_fdw.

Maybe those can serve as a proof-of-concept for discussing the design?

I havent had a look at the patch yet since I dont have a nice editor right now, but how do you handle inter operability between datatypes? Specifically, how do you handle those datatypes which have a different name from the PostgreSQL name for them and/or are stored in a different manner?

Regards,

Atri