Re: Proposal: IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA statement. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ronan Dunklau
Subject Re: Proposal: IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA statement.
Date
Re: Proposal: IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA statement.  (Florian Pflug <fgp@phlo.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
> I havent had a look at the patch yet since I dont have a nice editor right
> now, but how do you handle inter operability between datatypes?
> Specifically, how do you handle those datatypes which have a different name
> from the PostgreSQL name for them and/or are stored in a different manner?

Do you mean in general, or for the postgres_fdw specifically ?

In general, only valid column types should be accepted in the
CreateForeignTableStmt. The CreateForeignTableStmt is passed through
DefineRelation, which takes care of looking up the actual data types.

For the postgres_fdw POC implementation, this is done by parsing the
attributes type from the query result with the regtype input functions. The
attribute typmod is injected too.

--
Ronan Dunklau
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org