Images storing techniques - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Riccardo Gobbo
Subject Images storing techniques
Date
Re: Images storing techniques  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Good evening,
I'm a Master degree student at University of Padua in Italy and I'm developing a web application as assignment for the Web application course.

Context: the Web application that my group is developing would ideally be used to manage  county side fairs where there would be foods and drinks, these displayed into a digital menu.
The application uses postgre to implement a database where stores data, mostly strings as emails and orders but also some images (representing the dishes).
The web pages are created using java servlets and jbc

Question: for better performance is it better to store images as BYTEA or convert every image in base64 and store the generated string  (so in html it's enough to insert the base64 string in the tag)?
Converting an image in base64 would use a 30% more memory than storing directly the image's bytes, but I don't know if working with characters rather than bytes could have more prons than cons

Thank for the time you dedicated for the answer and I apologize both for disturbing you and my English.

Best regards, Riccardo.

Computer Engineering
Mat. 2082156