Re: BUG #6633: PL/Python build does not honor PYTHON on Mac OS X - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Clay McClure
Subject Re: BUG #6633: PL/Python build does not honor PYTHON on Mac OS X
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:42 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Hmm ... on my Mac,
>
> $ python-config
> Usage: /usr/bin/python-config [--prefix|--exec-prefix|--includes|--libs|--cflags|--ldflags|--help]
>
> None of those options produce anything including "-framework Python".
> So I think your upstream needs to clarify to us benighted database geeks
> exactly how this needs to be done, in such a way that it doesn't break
> the existing working cases while fixing their case.

Thanks for your reply, Tom. I will check with the Homebrew
maintainers, but my (albeit limited) understanding of the subject is
that a framework Python is only needed for GUI applications. Unless
PL/Python is opening windows and drawing buttons, plpython.so should
work when linked against a non-framework python, whose libraries can
be found like so:

  $ python-config --libs

What is interesting to me is that the top-level configure script in
the Postgres source distribution already does this, saving the result
in `python_libspec`. It's not clear to me why that is later overridden
in the plpython Makefile to build against a framework python.

I'll write back when I hear from the Homebrew folks.

Cheers,

Clay