Re: Hardware recommendations? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Hardware recommendations?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On 11/02/2016 10:03 AM, Steve Atkins wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking for generic advice on hardware to use for "mid-sized"
>> postgresql servers, $5k or a bit more.
>>
>> There are several good documents from the 9.0 era, but hardware has moved
>> on since then, particularly with changes in SSD pricing.
>>
>> Has anyone seen a more recent discussion of what someone might want for
>> PostreSQL in 2017?
>

> The rules haven't changed much, more cores (even if a bit slower) is better
> than less, as much ram as the budget will allow and:
>
> SSD
>
> But make sure you get datacenter/enterprise SSDs. Consider that even a slow
> datacenter/enterprise SSD can do 500MB/s random write and read just as fast
> if not faster. That means for most installations, a RAID1 is more than
> enough.

Just to add that many setups utilizing SSDs are as fast or faster
using kernel level RAID as they are with a hardware RAID controller,
esp if the RAID controller has caching enabled. We went from 3k to 5k
tps to 15 to 18k tps by turnong off caching on modern LSI MegaRAID
controllers running RAID5.