Google Cloud Compute - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Maeldron T.
Subject Google Cloud Compute
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I’m considering moving my servers to Google. The main reason is the
transparent encryption they offer. This means I should either move all
or none. The former would include PostreSQL, specifially: FreeBSD + ZFS
+ PostgreSQL.

Do you have any pros or cons based on experience? (Would fsync work as
it is supposed to work?)

Yesterday I run a few "benchmarks", in case loading dumps and running
vacuum qualifies, and there was little difference between the peristent
SSD and the local SSD storage. Both were set up as RAID 1 (ZFS mirror).

Later I managed to read the documentation to learn the persistent SSD is
already redundant hence I can’t justify the price and the limitations of
the local SSD storage for my current needs. However, the persistent
storage is network-based.

May I use it and sleep well? (If the night is silent otherwise.)

Are the so-called migration events ever happen?