Re: [TIPS] Tuning PostgreSQL 9.2 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: [TIPS] Tuning PostgreSQL 9.2
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 4:45 PM, drum.lucas@gmail.com
<drum.lucas@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi guys... how are you all doing?
>>

>> Scott Marlowe, you sent an email about the pooler...
>>
>> I've done some tests on my VM, but can't do tests on the servers, as they
>> are already in production...
>> However... I'm willing to set-up the pgbouncer pool on my postgresql 9.2
>> server...
>>
>> Just got some questions first.. can you please give me your opinion?
>>
>> my scenario:
>>>
>>> 1 Load Balancer (nginx) --->
>>> 2 web servers (www01 and www02) --->
>>> 4 DB servers (master01, slave01 (read-only), slave02 (hot_standby),
>>> slave03 (hot_standby), slave04 (hot_standby)
>>

>> I'd install the pgbouncer on the www01 server... What do you guys think
>> about it? Having in mind my scenario?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Lucas
>>

> I mean... can pgbouncer handle with my master and slave01? As I'm using
> slave01 as read-only server? Also.. I've got 2 www servers... Do I have to
> have pgbouncer in both of them?

pgbouncer is kinda happy living almost anywhere.

Putting it on separate vms means you can reconfigure when needed for
say another db or web server without having to edit anything but the
pgbouncer vms.

Putting it on the db servers means that if a db server goes down then
you need to reconfigure the app side to not look for them

Putting them on the app side means you have to configured according to
how many app servers you have etc.

It all really depends on your use cases. but putting it on the www
servers works fine and is how I've done it many times in the past.