Re: SSD filesystem aligned to DBMS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: SSD filesystem aligned to DBMS
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 7:47 AM, Neto pr <netoprbr9@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Sorry, but I'm not sure that this doubt is appropriate for this list, but I
> do need to prepare the file system of an SSD disk in a way that pointed me
> to, which would be a way optimized SSD
>  to work. I have a disk: SSD: Samsung 500 GB SATA III 6Gb/s - Model: 850 Evo
> http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/850evo/
>
> One person on the list me said that should be partition aligned to 3072 not
> default 2048, to start on erase block bounduary. And fs block should be 8kb.
>
> Can you give me a hint of what program I could do this. I have already used
> fdisk but I do not know how to do this in Fdisk. I used Linux Debian
> 8(Jessie) 64b with Ext4 File system.

fdisk is pretty old and can't handle larger disks. You can get a fair
bit of control over the process with parted, but it takes some getting
used to. As far as I know, linux's ext4 has a maximum block size of
4k. I can't imagine alignment matters to SSDs and I would take any
advice as such with a large grain of salt and then if I had questions
about performance I'd test it to see. I'm willing to bet a couple
bucks it makes ZERO difference.

> If you prefer, just reply to me, since the subject would not be about
> postgresql itself. netoprbr9@gmail.com

No this affects everybody who uses SSDs so let's keep it on list if we can.