Re: Vacuum problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Vacuum problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 7:27 AM, S H <msq001@live.com> wrote:
>> I wonder if you've got a bloated pg catalog then. Certainly sounds
>> like it's a possibility.
>> So other than vacuuming when you recreate this, is the server working
>> hard? What is vacuum vacuuming when this happens (pg_stat_activity
>> should show that)
>
> Does vacuum full is required to avoid bloating, i am running vacuum analyze
> regularly but not vacuum full.

Normally vacuum full is NOT required on a regular basis. However, if
you did something like creation 100M tables and then dropped them, or
did it one at a time real fast, you could outrun your autovacuum
daemons and get bloat in the pg catalog tables.

Just offering a possibility for why a connection might be taking a
long time. There's plenty of other possibilities I'm sure.