Re: increasing the default WAL segment size - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Beena Emerson
Subject Re: increasing the default WAL segment size
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 4/4/17 22:47, Amit Kapila wrote:
>> Committed first part to allow internal representation change (only).
>>
>> No commitment yet to increasing wal-segsize in the way this patch has it.
>>

> What part of patch you don't like and do you have any suggestions to
> improve the same?

I think there are still some questions and disagreements about how it
should behave.

The  WALfilename - LSN mapping disruption for higher values you mean? Is there anything else I have missed?

I suggest the next step is to dial up the allowed segment size in
configure and run some tests about what a reasonable maximum value could
be.  I did a little bit of that, but somewhere around 256 MB, things got
really slow.

Would it be better if just increase the limit to 128MB for now?
In next we can change the WAL file name format and expand the range?

--

Beena Emerson

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company