Re: Big Performance drop of Exceptions in UDFs between V11.2 and 13.4 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: Big Performance drop of Exceptions in UDFs between V11.2 and 13.4
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 1:56 AM Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> The culprit turns out to be the precise version of libiconv/libintl
> used. There is a slight difference between the versions used in the
> 11.13 installer and the 13.4 installer. We need to dig into performance
> more (e.g. why does the test take much longer on an NLS enabled build
> even when we are using 'initdb --no-locale'?) But I'm pretty confident
> now that this is the issue. I've started talks with our installer guys
> about fixing it.

FTR it's consistent with my own setup.  I could finally compile
postgres with NLS support and libintl 0.18.1 and I only got a limited
overhead: the runtime increases from ~460ms to ~1.5s (and ~2s with
lc_messages to something else than C), but that's way better than the
~44s with the current edb version.