Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 6:16 PM Peter Eisentraut

> On 2019-07-02 10:30, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> > That's a great idea, and would make the parallelism in reindexdb much
> > simpler.  There's however a downside, as users won't have a way to
> > benefit from index filtering until they upgrade to this version.  OTOH
> > glibc 2.28 is already there, and a hypothetical fancy reindexdb is far
> > from being released.
>
> Isn't that also the case for your proposal?  We are not going to release
> a new reindexdb before a new REINDEX.

Sure, but my point was that once the new reindexdb is released (or if
you're so desperate, using a nightly build or compiling your own), it
can be used against any previous major version.  There is probably a
large fraction of users who don't perform a postgres upgrade when they
upgrade their OS, so that's IMHO also something to consider.