Re: [Proposal] Global temporary tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: [Proposal] Global temporary tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 8:23 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

> so 2. 11. 2019 v 8:18 odesílatel Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> napsal:

inbackend's catalog cache, but not in pg_statistic table itself.

>> > Years ago, when I though about it, I wrote patch with similar design. It's working, but surely it's ugly.
>> >
>> > I have another idea. Can be pg_statistics view instead a table?
>> >
>> > Some like
>> >
>> > SELECT * FROM pg_catalog.pg_statistics_rel
>> > UNION ALL
>> > SELECT * FROM pg_catalog.pg_statistics_gtt();
>> >
>> > Internally - when stat cache is filled, then there can be used pg_statistics_rel and pg_statistics_gtt() directly.
WhatI remember, there was not possibility to work with queries, only with just relations.

>> It'd be a loss if you lose the ability to see the statistics, as there
>> are valid use cases where you need to see the stats, eg. understanding
>> why you don't get the plan you wanted.  There's also at least one
>> extension [1] that allows you to backup and use restored statistics,
>> so there are definitely people interested in it.
>>
>> [1]: https://github.com/ossc-db/pg_dbms_stats
>

> I don't think - the extensions can use UNION and the content will be same as caches used by planner.

Yes, I agree that changing pg_statistics to be a view as you showed
would fix the problem.  I was answering Konstantin's point:

which is IMHO a wrong assumption.