Re: Proposal of new PostgreSQL Extension - PGSpiderExt - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: Proposal of new PostgreSQL Extension - PGSpiderExt
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 4:17 PM Konstantin Knizhnik
<k.knizhnik@postgrespro.ru> wrote:

> On 16.09.2020 16:01, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 02:09:11PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> >> FWIW I would like to see fewer modules in contrib rather than gaining more.
> > Agreed here.
> > --
> > Michael
>
> The intention to limit the number of contrib modules seems to be obvious
> because
> community will have to support all this modules.
>
> But it will be great to have some have some common "playground" for all
> Postgres extension, so that everybody can easily
> look for available extensions, check their status: which Postgres
> version are supported, last update time, OS compatibility, author's
> contacts...
> I think that it will be enough just to have common git repository for
> them + may be some rules/tools which simplify search of extensions.
>
>  From my point of view if will be very helpful if such "PgExt Store"
> will be available.
> May be such resources already exists, but I do not know about them.
> There is the following page:
> https://www.postgresql.org/download/products/6-postgresql-extensions/
> but there are just 13 extension listed here. And I failed to add my
> product in it.
>
> As author of several Postgres extensions, I very interesting in having
> some common
> database of all available Postgres extension and be able to publish my
> extensions there.

That's the goal of https://pgxn.org/.  The major problem is that those
extensions are usually not available on the various clouds, and/or
don't have the same trust level as for official contribs.