[Feature Request] explaining sql statements executed in UDF's - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hassan Syed
Subject [Feature Request] explaining sql statements executed in UDF's
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Folks,

I hope this is the right place to ask for this feature.

I have just started working with Postgres seriously, and I come from a SQL Server background. In SQL Server when one develops complex stored procedures, it is possible to see the query plans of the stored procedure, even when the invocations are nested.

I wanted to have the same functionality in Postgres so I asked this question on the dba.stackexchange.com website:

http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/23355/postgres-query-plan-of-a-udf-invocation-written-in-pgpsql

So, in order to achieve this use-case I have to first enable the feature in a session and then "tail -f" the server log. It would be great if we could have the server look into the UDF's and show the entirety of the query plans.

This feature is quite beneficial when developing complex nested UDF implementations. Eventually I hope I can get these query plans displayed graphically in Pgadmin3.

Hassan