Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit kapila
Subject Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Monday, September 10, 2012 8:20 PM Amit Kapila wrote:
On Sunday, September 09, 2012 1:37 PM Amit Kapila wrote:
On Friday, September 07, 2012 11:19 PM Tom Lane wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> writes:
>>> Would socketpair(2) be simpler?

>>>I've not done anything yet about the potential security issues
>>>associated with untrusted libpq connection strings.  I think this
>>is still at the proof-of-concept stage; in particular, it's probably
>> time to see if we can make it work on Windows before we worry more
>>about that.

> I have started working on this patch to make it work on Windows. The 3
main things to make it work are:

The patch which contains Windows implementation as well is attached with this mail. It contains changes related to
following
1. waitpid
2. socketpair
3. fork-exec

The following is still left:
1. Error handling in all paths
2. During test, I found if i try to run with admin user, it throws error but psql doesn't comes out.
    I will look into this issue. However as in previous mail discussion there is a decision pending whether in
standalonemode
    we need admin user behavior.
3. Will do some more test in Windows.

Currently I have prepared a patch on top of your changes, please let me know if that is okay.
Also, it will be better for me if you can tell me how I can further contribute.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila
Attachment