Re: pg_config header files are missing - Postgres 13 - Amazon Linux 2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hasan Marzooq
Subject Re: pg_config header files are missing - Postgres 13 - Amazon Linux 2
Date
Re: pg_config header files are missing - Postgres 13 - Amazon Linux 2  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-general
Hi.
I tried "yum install centos-release-scl-rh" before but it gives the below error.
------
# yum install centos-release-scl-rh
Loaded plugins: extras_suggestions, langpacks, priorities, update-motd
213 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
No package centos-release-scl-rh available.
Error: Nothing to do
--------

Postgres 9.6 on this machine (Amazon Linux 2) is installed via PGDG repo, so I tried installing Postgres 13 as well, and I can see it has installed but only one more package I need that is "postgresql13-devel.x86_64" which needs another dependency " llvm-toolset-7-clang >= 4.0.1" that is not available from the same repo.

---
yum list installed | grep -i postgres
postgresql13.x86_64                13.5-1PGDG.rhel7                  @pgdg13
postgresql13-contrib.x86_64        13.5-1PGDG.rhel7                  @pgdg13
postgresql13-libs.x86_64           13.5-1PGDG.rhel7                  @pgdg13
postgresql13-server.x86_64         13.5-1PGDG.rhel7                  @pgdg13
postgresql96.x86_64                9.6.24-1PGDG.rhel6                @pgdg96
postgresql96-contrib.x86_64        9.6.24-1PGDG.rhel6                @pgdg96
postgresql96-devel.x86_64          9.6.24-1PGDG.rhel6                @pgdg96
postgresql96-libs.x86_64           9.6.24-1PGDG.rhel6                @pgdg96
postgresql96-server.x86_64         9.6.24-1PGDG.rhel6                @pgdg96
---

On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 at 17:48, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 8:10 AM Hasan Marzooq <engr.naqvi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> We've a web application in play framework which uses Postgres 9.6 with plv8 and uuid-ossp extension. We now want to use Postgres 13 instead of 9.6. To achieve this, I'm trying to install Postgres 13 (on the same host where 9.6 is installed) with plv8 and uuid-ossp extension.
>
> PLV8 "make" uses "pg_config" to get the latest version of Postgres (in case multiple Postgres are installed). However, when running "make" with Postgres 13's pg_config, its giving error:
>
> cat: /usr/pgsql-13/include/server/pg_config*.h: No such file or directory
>
> using command: make PG_CONFIG=/usr/pgsql-13/bin/pg_config
>
> I see the header files are missing, in fact there is no "include" folder inside "/usr/pgsql-13/"
> --
> # ll /usr/pgsql-13
> total 16
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 29 02:31 bin
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root   23 Dec 29 02:31 doc
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 29 02:31 lib
> drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Dec 29 02:31 share
> ---
>
> Header files (and include folder) do exist in Postgres 9.6's pg_config.
>
> After a bit of research I found that probably installing "postgresql13-devel.x86_64" will install pg_config with headers. However, when installing "postgresql13-devel.x86_64" via yum, it says,

> --
> Error: Package: postgresql13-devel-13.5-1PGDG.rhel7.x86_64 (pgdg13)
>            Requires: llvm-toolset-7-clang >= 4.0.1
> --
> I didn't find "llvm-toolset-7-clang" from yum repo, except from the RHEL subscription manager, which is paid for non-dev stuff. So I tried to build llvm-toolset-clang from scratch, but that doesn't solve the problem.

Note that the PGDG repositories are not supported on Amazon Linux.
https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/ has a list of
supported platforms for them.

On CentOS, which is, you need to run:
yum install centos-release-scl-rh

To get access to the required packages. I have no idea if the same
thing exists on Amazon Linux, but it might be worth a try.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/