Re: pg_restore man page question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Melvin Davidson
Subject Re: pg_restore man page question
Date
List pgsql-general
Be advised, the --section option is only available from 9.2 and up.

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 03/07/2016 10:22 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 11:03:39AM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:

The man page of pg_restore says

         --disable-triggers
                 This option is relevant only when performing a
                 data-only restore. It instructs pg_restore to execute
                 commands to temporarily disable triggers on the
                 target tables while the data is reloaded. [...]

This hint seems overly narrow: when doing a restore of schema
PLUS data (IOW, not a schema-only restore) it should apply,
too, shouldn't it ?

Otherwise it would suggest that pg_restore does this:

- restore basic table structure
- restore data
- restore constraints and triggers and ...

​Why is the surprising?

It's not surprising to me. I was making sure which way things
are because the documentation I consulted wasn't clear on
that for me. The way things turn out to be -- so much the
better !

Yeah, you have to dig into one of the switch definitions to get an answer:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/interactive/app-pgrestore.html

--section=sectionname

    Only restore the named section. The section name can be pre-data, data, or post-data. This option can be specified more than once to select multiple sections. The default is to restore all sections.

    The data section contains actual table data as well as large-object definitions. Post-data items consist of definitions of indexes, triggers, rules and constraints other than validated check constraints. Pre-data items consist of all other data definition items.

Karsten

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com