Re: pg_restore man page question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_restore man page question
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/07/2016 10:22 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 11:03:39AM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
>
>>> The man page of pg_restore says
>>>
>>>          --disable-triggers
>>>                  This option is relevant only when performing a
>>>                  data-only restore. It instructs pg_restore to execute
>>>                  commands to temporarily disable triggers on the
>>>                  target tables while the data is reloaded. [...]
>>>
>>> This hint seems overly narrow: when doing a restore of schema
>>> PLUS data (IOW, not a schema-only restore) it should apply,
>>> too, shouldn't it ?
>>>
>>> Otherwise it would suggest that pg_restore does this:
>>>
>>> - restore basic table structure
>>> - restore data
>>> - restore constraints and triggers and ...

>> ​Why is the surprising?
>
> It's not surprising to me. I was making sure which way things
> are because the documentation I consulted wasn't clear on
> that for me. The way things turn out to be -- so much the
> better !

Yeah, you have to dig into one of the switch definitions to get an answer:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/interactive/app-pgrestore.html

--section=sectionname

     Only restore the named section. The section name can be pre-data,
data, or post-data. This option can be specified more than once to
select multiple sections. The default is to restore all sections.

     The data section contains actual table data as well as large-object
definitions. Post-data items consist of definitions of indexes,
triggers, rules and constraints other than validated check constraints.
Pre-data items consist of all other data definition items.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com