Re: How to retrieve Comment text using SQL, not psql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Melvin Davidson
Subject Re: How to retrieve Comment text using SQL, not psql?
Date
List pgsql-general
>select obj_description('table1'::regclass, 'pg_class');

That will only show the table comment.
My query shows that table comment AND any column comments!

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 9:37 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 05/30/2015 04:48 AM, Bob Futrelle wrote:
Using pgAdmin3 I've tried this and variations on it.   All are rejected.

    select COMMENT ON TABLE articlestats

No answer here,

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/sql-comment.html

pgAdmin3 had no problem with entering a comment:

    COMMENT ON TABLE articlestats IS 'Comprehensive data for every article.'

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/functions-info.html
Table 9.60 Comment Information Functions

So:

test=# comment on table table1 is 'Test comment';
COMMENT

test=# select obj_description('table1'::regclass, 'pg_class');
 obj_description

 Test comment

(1 row)

  - Bob Futrelle