Re: How do I know my table is bloated? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Rodrigo Barboza
Subject Re: How do I know my table is bloated?
Date
List pgsql-admin

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Igor Neyman <ineyman@perceptron.com> wrote:

From: Rodrigo Barboza [mailto:rodrigombufrj@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:50 PM
To: Igor Neyman
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] How do I know my table is bloated?

Well, maybe I am.
But I am worried because I know that there are some tables that do lots of updates and delete.
As this concept is new for me, I am trying to be prepared to detect a situation like this.

It all depends on pattern of your inserts/updates/deletes.
If your index accumulates lots of almost (but not completely) empty pages with just few entries left, than - yes, REINDEX "is your friend".

b.t.w., this concept is not unique to Postgres, it's just a nature of B-tree indexes.

Igor

I see...
I guess the only way to know is if I suspect that size of my db is growing unexpected.
But it is good to know that a b-tree concept concept.
Because I came from a very old mysql installation (that is way postgres is new for me) and I am trying to keep my postgres the most stable possible.