Re: How do I know my table is bloated? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Igor Neyman
Subject Re: How do I know my table is bloated?
Date
List pgsql-admin

From: Rodrigo Barboza [mailto:rodrigombufrj@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:50 PM
To: Igor Neyman
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] How do I know my table is bloated?

Well, maybe I am.
But I am worried because I know that there are some tables that do lots of updates and delete.
As this concept is new for me, I am trying to be prepared to detect a situation like this.

It all depends on pattern of your inserts/updates/deletes.
If your index accumulates lots of almost (but not completely) empty pages with just few entries left, than - yes,
REINDEX"is your friend".

b.t.w., this concept is not unique to Postgres, it's just a nature of B-tree indexes.

Igor