Re: Snapshot backups - Mailing list pgsql-general

From James Sewell
Subject Re: Snapshot backups
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Magnus,

Could you elaborate a bit more on this?

I've been having a look at do_pg_start_backup() and I can't really see anything apart from enabling full page writes and running a checkpoint to avoid getting a torn page. I could be missing something easily though, as I'm not familiar with the codebase.

do_pg_stop_backup() isn't really of consequence, as the backup is taken before this - so any restore is to a point in time before this as well.

I was under the impression a restore was (more or less) the same as a crash recovery, and logically it seems like PGDATA snapshot is equivalent to a crash/restart (disk at a discrete point in time).

I can understand if log replay might take longer, but I am struggling to see how it could result in an inconsistent state?

As I said I know this isn't best practice, but just want to understand how it works.

Cheers,

James Sewell
Solutions Architect

http://www.lisasoft.com/sites/lisasoft/files/u1/2013hieghtslogan_0.png