Re: Snapshot backups - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Snapshot backups
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 8:45 AM, James Sewell <james.sewell@lisasoft.com> wrote:
Hey All,

This is a message to confirm my thoughts / validate a possible approach.

In a situation where PGDATA and {XLOG, ARCHIVELOG} are on different SAN/NAS volumes and a backup is to be initiated do pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup need to be used?

I am using snapshots of each volume for backup.

My thinking is that they are not needed (although I realise it is good practice).

As far as I can tell all they are doing is something like:

pg_start_backup:
  - create backup label
  - trigger checkpoint

pg_stop_backup
  - remove backup label file
  - creates backup history file
  - trigger log switch

There is nothing in here that is *required* from a backup point of view. Am I missing anything?

The backup functions also set internal state in the database, so you can't just replace it with doing those operations manually.  You do need to call those functions.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/