Next Steps with Hash Indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Re: Next Steps with Hash Indexes  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I've been investigating hash indexes and have what I think is a clear
picture in my head, so time for discussion.

It would be very desirable to allow Hash Indexes to become Primary Key
Indexes, which requires both
  amroutine->amcanunique = true;
  amroutine->amcanmulticol = true;

Every other hash index TODO seems like performance tuning, so can wait
awhile, even if it is tempting to do that first.

1. Multi-column Indexes
seems to have floundered because of this thread "Multicolumn Hash Indexes",
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/29263.1506483172%40sss.pgh.pa.us,
but those issues don't apply in most common cases and so they seem
acceptable restrictions, especially since some already apply to btrees
etc..
(And noting that Hash indexes already assume strict hash operators, so
that is not an issue).
For me, this separates into two sub-concerns:
1.1 Allow multi-columns to be defined for hash indexes
Enabling this a simple one line patch
     amroutine->amcanmulticol = true;
which works just fine on current HEAD without further changes (manual
testing, as yet).
If we do this first, then any work on uniqueness checking can take
into account multiple columns.

1.2 Combining multi-column hashes into one hash value
Trivially, this is already how it works, in the sense that we just use
the first column, however many columns there are in the index! Doing
more is an already solved problem in Postgres,
[TupleHashTableHash_internal() in src/backend/executor/execGrouping.c]
as pointed out here: "Combining hash values"
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEepm%3D3rdgjfxW4cKvJ0OEmya2-34B0qHNG1xV0vK7TGPJGMUQ%40mail.gmail.com
though noting there was no discussion on that point [1]. This just
needs a little refactoring to improve things, but it seems more like a
nice to have than an essential aspect of hash indexes that need not
block us from enabling multi-column hash indexes.

2. Unique Hash Indexes have been summarized here:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1KATC1TA5bR5eobYQVO3RWsnH6djNpk3P376em4V8MuUA%40mail.gmail.com
which also seems to have two parts to it.

2.1 Uniqueness Check
Amit: "to ensure that there is no duplicate entry we need to traverse
the whole bucket chain"
Agreed. That seems straightforward and can also be improved later.

2.2 Locking
Amit's idea of holding ExclusiveLock on the bucket page works for me,
but there was some doubt about splitting.

Splitting seems to be an awful behavior that users would wish to avoid
if they knew about the impact and duration. In my understanding,
splitting involves moving 50% of rows and likely touches all blocks
eventually. If the existing index is the wrong shape then just run
REINDEX. If we tune the index build, looks like REINDEX would be
quicker and easier way of growing an index than trying to split an
existing index. i.e. rely on ecdysis not internal growth. This is much
more viable now because of the CIC changes in PG14.

(I would argue that removing splitting completely is a good idea,
similar to the way we have removed the original VACUUM FULL algorithm,
but that will take a while to swallow that thought). Instead, I
suggest we introduce a new indexam option for hash indexes of
autosplit=on (default) | off, so that users can turn splitting off.
Which means we would probably also need another option for
initial_buckets=0 (default) means use number of existing rows to size,
or N=use that specific size. Note that turning off splitting does not
limit the size of the index, it just stops the index from re-freshing
its number of buckets. B-trees are the default for PKs, so Hash
indexes are an option for larger tables only, so there is less need to
have hash indexes cope with tables of unknown size - we wouldn't even
be using hash unless we already know it is a big table.

If splitting causes any difficulty at all, then we should simply say
that Unique Hash Index indexes should initially force autosplit=off,
so we don't have to worry about the correctness of the locking. I
suggest we implement that first and then decide if we really care
about splitting, cos I'd bet we don't. Yes, I consider uniqueness much
more desirable than splitting.

I've written a patch that refactors index build so we *never* need to
perform a split during index build, allowing us to more credibly skip
index splitting completely. (Incidentally, it avoids the need to
update the metapage for each row during the build, allowing us to
consider writing in batches to the index as a next step). So there
need be no *requirement* for splitting to be supported with
uniqueness, while build/reindex looks like it can be much faster. I
can post it if anyone wants to see it, but I don't want to distract us
from discussion of the main requirements.

I have other performance tuning ideas, but they can wait.

Anyway, that's what I think at present. Thoughts?

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/