Default to TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Default to TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I heard the moan about "Why doesn't TIMESTAMP mean TIMESTAMP WITH TIME
ZONE" again today, so here is something concrete to address that.

AFAIK, SQL Standard requires the default to be WITHOUT TIME ZONE, but
nobody seems to think that is useful. We even added a specially
optimized ALTER TABLE command to make switching from WITHOUT to WITH
TIME ZONE easy, so it is clearly an important thing to solve.

So add a parameter called
   default_timestamp_with_timezone = off (default) | on

Thoughts?

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/

Attachment