Re: stats for network traffic WIP - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mike Blackwell
Subject Re: stats for network traffic WIP
Date
List pgsql-hackers
This patch looks good to me.  It applies, builds, and runs the regression tests.  Documentation is included and it seems to do what it says.  I don't consider myself a code expert, but as far as I can see it looks fine.  This is a pretty straightforward enhancement to the existing pg_stat_* code.

If no one has any objections, I'll mark it ready for committer.

Mike

Mike Blackwell | Technical Analyst, Distribution Services/Rollout Management | RR Donnelley
1750 Wallace Ave | St Charles, IL 60174-3401
Office: 630.313.7818
Mike.Blackwell@rrd.com
http://www.rrdonnelley.com

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:29 PM, Nigel Heron <nheron@querymetrics.com> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 11:27 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-11-08 at 10:01 -0500, Nigel Heron wrote:
>> here's v4 of the patch. I added documentation and a new global view
>> called "pg_stat_socket" (includes bytes_sent, bytes_received and
>> stats_reset time)
>
> Your patch needs to be rebased:
>
> CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in src/test/regress/expected/rules.out

Hi,
here's a rebased patch with some additions.

an overview of it's current state...

a new pg_stat_socket global view:
- total bytes sent and received
- bytes sent and received for user backends
- bytes sent and received for wal senders
- total connection attempts
- successful connections to user backends
- successful connections to wal senders
- stats reset time
pg_stat_reset_shared('socket') resets the counters

added to pg_stat_database view:
- bytes sent and received per db
- successful connections per db
pg_stat_reset() resets the counters

added to pg_stat_activity view:
- bytes sent and received per backend

added to pg_stat_replication view:
- bytes sent and received per wal sender

using the existing track_counts guc to enable/disable these stats.
-nigel.