Re: Speedup twophase transactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Speedup twophase transactions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 9 December 2015 at 18:44, Stas Kelvich <s.kelvich@postgrespro.ru> wrote:

In this patch I’ve changed this procedures to following:
* on prepare backend writes data only to xlog and store pointer to the start of the xlog record
* if commit occurs before checkpoint then backend reads data from xlog by this pointer
* on checkpoint 2pc data copied to files and fsynced
* if commit happens after checkpoint then backend reads files
* in case of crash replay will move data from xlog to files (as it was before patch)

This looks sound to me.

I think we could do better still, but this looks like the easiest 80% and actually removes code.

The lack of substantial comments on the patch is a problem though - the details above should go in the patch. I'll have a go at reworking this for you, this time.