Re: Combining Aggregates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Combining Aggregates
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5 April 2016 at 05:54, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 3:34 PM, David Rowley
<david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I wrote 0002 - 0004, these were reviewed by Tomas.
> 0005 is Haribabu's patch: Reviewed by Tomas and I.

I think it might be a good idea if these patches made less use of
bytea and exposed the numeric transition values as, say, a 2-element
array of numeric.  Maybe this doesn't really matter, but it's not
impossible that these values could be exposed somewhere, and a numeric
is an awful lot more user-friendly than an essentially opaque bytea.
One of the things I eventually want to figure out how to do with this
is distributed aggregation across multiple shards, and I think it
might be better to have the value being sent over the wire be
something like {26.6,435.12} rather than \x1234...

Thoughts?

Rewriting something that works fine just before the deadline isn't a good plan.

"Might be better" isn't enough.