Re: Allow ssl_renegotiation_limit in PG 9.5 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Allow ssl_renegotiation_limit in PG 9.5
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 16 October 2015 at 14:41, Shay Rojansky <roji@roji.org> wrote:

If not, the only solution I can see is for PostgreSQL to not protest if it sees the
parameter in the startup packet.

Yeah, that's the ideal solution here as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, but I don't like the idea of hardcoding something so horribly specific into the server.

It seems reasonable for us to have behaviour that varies according to the driver software that is trying to connect.

I'd rather the driver added "driver=npgsql" as an additional parameter in the StartupMessage. We can then make the server run some driver specific logic, rather than hardcoding something that could cause breakage elsewhere. This mechanism would then be extensible to all drivers.

The StartupMessage already allows a variable number of parameters, so we don't need to change the protocol. We can backpatch a simple fix to all supported versions.