Re: remaining open items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: remaining open items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 16 October 2015 at 20:17, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

>> - DDL deparsing testing module should have detected that transforms
>> were not supported, but it failed to notice that.  There's no thread
>> linked to this one either, but the description of the issue seems
>> clear enough.  Alvaro, any chance that you can, as the comment says,
>> whack it until it does?
>
> I've been looking at this on and off, without anything useful to share
> yet.  One approach that was suggested (which I don't like much, but I
> admit is a possible approach) is that we just need to remain vigilant
> that all features that add DDL properly test the event trigger side of
> it, just as we remain vigilant about pg_dump support without having any
> explicit test that it works.

I really, really hope that's not where we end up.  Just shoot me now.

I share your pain, but the latter appears to be the only actionable proposal at present.

A test suite was originally written, but not committed.
Why do we need to fix DDL when pg_dump remains annoying in the same way?
Why do we need to fix it now? Surely this will break things in later releases, but not in 9.5, since we aren't ever going to add DDL to 9.5 again.