Re: [HACKERS] pgsql: Avoid archiving XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS on idle server - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pgsql: Avoid archiving XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS on idle server
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 6 April 2016 at 10:09, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
On 2016-04-06 10:04:42 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 6 April 2016 at 09:45, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>
> > On 2016-04-06 09:18:54 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > > Rather than take that option, I went to the trouble of writing a patch
> > that
> > > does the same thing but simpler, less invasive and more maintainable.
> > > Primarily, I did that for you, to avoid you having wasted your time and
> > > allow you to backpatch a solution.
> >
> > But it doesn't. It doesn't solve the longstanding problem of checkpoints
> > needlessly being repeated due to standby snapshots.

> <sigh> I can't see why you say this. I am willing to listen, but this
> appears to be wrong.

The issue there is that we continue to issue checkpoints if the only
activity since the last checkpoint was emitting a standby
snapshot. That's because:

I agree this is the current situation in 9.4 and 9.5, hence the bug report.

This no longer occurs with the patches I have proposed. The snapshot is skipped, so a further checkpoint never triggers.

The proposed patch allows to fix that in a more principled manner,
because we can simply check that no "important" records have been
emitted since the last checkpoint, and skip if that's the case.

I understand the proposal you have made. The patch to implement it is what I object to; my comments made last Sunday.

> What issue is that? Previously you said it must not skip it at all for
> logical.

It's fine to skip the records iff nothing important has happened since
the last time a snapshot has been logged. Again, the proposed approach
allowed to detect that.

Agreed, both proposals do that.

> > We now log more WAL with
> > XLogArchiveTimeout > 0 than without.

> And the problem with that is what?

That an idle system unnecessarily produces WAL? Waking up disks and
everything?

The OP discussed a problem with archive_timeout > 0. Are you saying we should put in a fix that applies whatever the setting of archive_timeout?

Are we concerned that a master sends a small amount of data every few minutes to a standby it is connected to? I hadn't read that in the thread.