Re: [GENERAL] Fastest simple key-value store, multiple writers, like Redis? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Fastest simple key-value store, multiple writers, like Redis?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2 February 2017 at 19:00, Rob Nikander <rob.nikander@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working on a project with multiple different data storage backends. I'd
> like to consolidate and use Postgres for more things. In one new situation
> we're starting to use Redis, thinking it will perform better than Postgres
> for a table that is updated a lot by concurrent background jobs.
>
> I'm skeptical of no-sql stuff for various reasons. I'm wondering what PG
> experts think -- is there is a way to configure Postgres to handle a table
> differently, so that it could compete with Redis? Or are there some
> workloads where it is definitely better to use an alternative data store?
>
> This table will have a few million rows, five small columns. Rows will be
> updated, read, or inserted 5-10 million times a day, by concurrent
> processes. It operates like a key-value store in that most selects will be
> getting one row, and maybe updating that row. Ideally these processes could
> work without stepping on each other's toes and competing for locks.

Difficult to know precisely.

What I encourage you to do is write a benchmark that is representative
of what you are trying to achieve, using the pgbench utility's ability
to handle custom scripts.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/pgbench.html

Please post it to the project as a submission that we can then use for
performance discussions. No need to use precise business terms when
you name tables and columns, keep it generic.

You'll get a precise measurement of whether it works for you. And the
project will get a representative test case that we can understand and
tune for. And if everyone does that we'll get a set of use cases that
will help demonstrate our performance and to allow people to discuss
improvements.