Re: Detecting File Damage & Inconsistencies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Detecting File Damage & Inconsistencies
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 at 06:42, tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com
<tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> From: Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>
> > I would like to propose a few points that will help us detect file
> > damage, inconsistencies in files and track actions of users.
>
> Hello, Simon san.  Long time no see.  I'm happy to see you be back here recently.

Thank you, happy to be back. It's good to have the time to contribute again.

> What kind of improvement do you expect?  What problems would this make detectable?

If a rogue user/process is suspected, this would allow you to identify
more easily the changes made by specific sessions/users.

> > * 2-byte pid (from MyProcPid)
>
> pid is 4 bytes on Windows.  Isn't it also 4 byte on Linux when some kernel parameter is set to a certain value?

4 bytes is no problem, thanks for pointing that out.

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/