Re: FSM versus GIN pending list bloat - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: FSM versus GIN pending list bloat
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 4 August 2015 at 15:18, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
On 2015-08-04 14:59:11 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 4 August 2015 at 14:55, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > On 08/04/2015 04:35 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> >
> >> This and the OP seem like 9.5 open items to me.
> >>

> > Why? This is nothing new in 9.5.
>

> gin_pending_list_limit is new in 9.5
>
> We're in Alpha, so if something has been added and isn't very usable, we
> should change it while we can.

The only thing that variable does is change what the pending size limit
is determined by. Previously it was work_mem, now it's
gin_pending_list_limit. Imo that has pretty much nothing to do with not
registering pages as free.

We've made a change to the way GIN fast update works and that needs to be an effective change, not one that immediately triggers a secondary annoyance for the user. I've asked some questions; they may turn into actions, or not, but they are open items.