Re: Using quicksort for every external sort run - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Using quicksort for every external sort run
Date
Re: Using quicksort for every external sort run  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 25 November 2015 at 00:33, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:

Parallel sort is very important. Robert, Amit and I had a call about
this earlier today. We're all in agreement that this should be
extended in that direction, and have a rough idea about how it ought
to fit together with the parallelism primitives. Parallel sort in 9.6
could certainly happen -- that's what I'm aiming for. I haven't really
done preliminary research yet; I'll know more in a little while.

Glad to hear it, I was hoping to see that.

> How about we commit it with a sort_algorithm = 'foo' parameter so we can
> compare things before release of 9.6?

I had a debug GUC (like the existing one to disable top-N heapsorts)
that disabled "quicksort with spillover". That's almost the opposite
of what you're asking for, though, because that makes us never use a
heap. You're asking for me to write a GUC to always use a heap.

I'm asking for a parameter to confirm results from various algorithms, so we can get many eyeballs to confirm your work across its breadth. This is similar to the original trace_sort parameter which we used to confirm earlier sort improvements. I trust it will show this is good and can be removed prior to release of 9.6.