Re: Indexes on partitioned tables and foreign partitions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Indexes on partitioned tables and foreign partitions
Date
Re: Indexes on partitioned tables and foreign partitions  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 9 May 2018 at 12:50, Arseny Sher <a.sher@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 8b08f7d4 added propagation of indexes on partitioned tables to
> partitions, which is very cool. However, index creation also recurses
> down to foreign tables. I doubt this is intentional, as such indexes are
> forbidden as not making much sense; attempt to create index on
> partitioned table with foreign partition leads to an error
> now. Attached lines fix this.

"Fix"?

How much sense is it to have a partitioned table with a mix of local
and foreign tables?

Shouldn't the fix be to allow creation of indexes on foreign tables?
(Maybe they would be virtual or foreign indexes??)